Sunday, September 25, 2005

Me and Rudolph

Looking down at my polka dot tennis shoes (which I call my "Island of Misfit Toys shoes"), I remembered the story of Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer. Me and Rudy, we have a lot in common. We both want to be accepted and loved for who we are, not who people think we should be.

Allow me to explain...

Teddy Bear and I went out to dinner two nights in a row, both times to restaurants of my choice because his choice was not open. The first night, I fixed my hair the same way it was when he first saw me (a few hours earlier...hot day..needed a shower) and dressed nicely but not too fancy.

We had a nice time and he told me TONS about himself and his coworkers. The former sports writer in me was thrilled! He also told me several times how surprised he was about our meeting; he usually leaves work early and this time he stayed late; he'd never seen me at the game until that day; he usually eats at the park and didn't this time (the reason for our dinner). He was so pleasantly surprised that I called.

After talking to me for about an hour, he asked if I might be able to join him at a charity event that the Cubs were having in November. (Okay, he's planning a date 2 months in advance?!?!)

He wanted to go out again the next night and even offered to pick me up from work! (no thanks)

The next night, I wore my hair as I normally do with a bit of wave in it and I'll have to admit that I wasn't as dressed up as the first night. (Probably because I'd already decided that this relationship wasn't going anywhere).

I got into his car and he immediately asked if I cut my hair.
No.
But it looks a lot shorter.
That's because it's a bit wavy, but no I didn't cut it.
Really?
Yes.

I noticed that he was dressed nicer than I was. I apologized for not being so dressed up (but, jeez, it was a Monday night!). I told him I didn't want him to have to wait for me.
I hate being late.
That's okay, I would've waited.

(Does that mean that I should've dressed better? Or that he's not impatient? Or that he expected me to be more high-maintenance?)

Whatever, it was a nice evening. Well, as nice as it can be with a man with whom I'll have no future.

He mentioned that he has some friends coming into town over the weekend. I wasn't invited to join them. Kinda strange since he was already inviting me to a public event in November.

Anyway, I ran into him on Friday (did I mention that he lives in the building next door?) He said he'd call me later.

Friday night comes and goes. No call. Saturday comes and goes. No call. Went to both Cubs games and he saw me both times.

Sunday, I go to the Cubs game with Firecracker and as she and I are chatting with Security Guy after the game, Teddy Bear pulls up and chats with SG. (That's good because I pretended to be very involved airing out my umbrella and not seeing him.)

After TB drives away, SG (who originally set me up with TB) said that he told Teddy Bear how he's making SG look bad by not calling me. TB comes back with something about telling me he had friends in town. (Great! Now I look needy!)

Since we've only been out twice, we can't be expected to know each other's signals. When he says "later," that must mean later this week or next week or next lifetime. Who's to know?

I guess it doesn't really matter since I was planning to let this whole thing die a natural death in the off-season. And besides that, he seems to want me to fit this mold of the player's wife/girlfriend. Dressy outfits to baseball games, perfect long blond hair (in a rain delay??), always smiling and laughing (after a one-run loss?). Or maybe I'm just imagining that last one. I don't know.

I really don't think he'd dig the "Island of Misfit Toys shoes."

No comments: