Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Going (away) for broke

I'm one of those people who tries to pay off her credit card every month. Annoying, isn't it? I get frequent flier miles from one credit card, so it's fun to see the miles pile up (and plan yet another trip to use them!).

A few days ago, I had a bit of a scare when I opened my Visa bill. AARRGGHH!! Twenty-seven hundred dollars?!?!?! OMG! Where the hell did THAT come from?

Okay, tickets for Cubs games, sure I can see that. I wish I could say that that was money well spent except that the rat-bastard St. Louis Cardinals and the "other" Chicago team are still playing! Yeesh!

But I digress..

Oh, now I see it. Plane tickets! And, what's this? Asiarooms.com? Hmmn..oh, that's where I made my hotel reservations for my three-city Australia trip. (I leave soon!!!)

Some people have a talent for music or for painting, I have a talent for shopping, online shopping. No, not eBay (not much anyway). I shop for travel deals. I guess it's no coincidence that I didn't travel much pre-Internet. Without these websites, I don't think I could afford to go anywhere and boy! would that make The Writer a freakishly dull person!

Travelzoo.com, Kayak.com, Globester.com - - you name it, I've been there. And yes, I also utilize print mags, mostly Budget Travel.

Aside from the coronary caused by the Visa bill, the travel planning is just how I'd like it to be. By the time I leave for my trip, I will have all of my flights and three of my four hotels already paid for!! Of course, I usually plan this trip several months in advance, so my credit cards don't melt, but I was quite slothlike this year.

Get the bills paid, get the packing done, hold the mail service, pre-pay mortgage, etc. etc. It's hurry up and wait.

Is it time to leave yet??

No comments: