Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Game on!

Firecracker and I met up with a group of other single gals for a "girls night out" on Friday. The original plan was to attend a singles mixer but that ended up as a bust because the event was an estrogen tsunami with a measly dozen men in attendance.

Ah...spring.
Temperatures go up, hemlines go up, libidos go up. Oh, and it's baseball season. In spring there are endless opportunities, boatloads of potential and no crushed feelings...yet.

At our second (and last) stop of the evening, I saw a potential suitor arrive with his wingman. He had already secured a cocktail and was heading to the middle room of the bar. It's been a while and my form might be rusty but I was willing to step in and take a few swings.

The stats on this guy looked good: over 30, never been married, a bit over 6-feet tall, good smile, nice hair, owns his own home...and he's a lawyer! Wingman jumped in with some Jerry Maguire-like PR, informing me that this guy OWNS the law firm where he works.

"Wow! He hit that one a mile!!"

Okay, so the guy has some money. That's nice. It would be a nice change of pace to date a man who doesn't consider pizza and a movie a "fancy evening." He probably owns more than one suit, too. (So I like my guys to look nice, so sue me!...pardon the pun)

But is that all there is to him?
No.

Is he the endangered species of man known as sports fan?
Yes!

Does he like to travel?
Yes, he owns a boat!

More importantly, is he interested in me or just waiting for something better to walk by??
Um, well...I've never been called a "minx" before. I'll take that as a good sign.

"This guy has future all-star written all over him."

As the night wore on, my friends decided to hang 'em up since the talent pool had diminished significantly. In the other room, the Lawyer became increasingly drunk. Strangely enough, I was sober from the alcohol, but drunk on the attention. Soon, the Lawyer was sitting on a stool with his arms around my waist (yay!! for my sexy, hot, fuzzy sweater!)

"So, I'm 32. How old are you?"

"I'm 40." I answered, backing away a bit to see his reaction.

"That's great. I love older women. I always go out with older women."

"Oooh, hit by the pitch! That's gonna leave a mark."

The evening went downhill from there. It was pretty clear to me that the Lawyer wasn't so much looking to begin a relationship as he was trying to jump-start a booty call.

As a veteran of the game, I know the importance of a good nights' sleep, so I jumped in a cab - alone- and wrote off the evening as good practice for what could be a very exciting season.

1 comment:

Paul the Limey said...

I'm sure that when you get the right pitch - you'll knock it clean out of the park..

I love spring time in Chicago - for the reason you mentioned. The temperatures get above freezing and the girls on West Jackson start looking less like a 'ball of clothes' and much more 'minx' like.

I know I'm married - but I still love to window shop!