Thursday, March 09, 2006

Lion King (the sequel)

Having lost two of three of our final regular season volleyball games last night, my team and I retreated to our favorite watering hole to drown our sorrows. During the walk over, one of the two married teammates mention that one of my other teammates took a liking to Firecracker when she filled in last week.

Hmmn??? Which teammate, I wondered? Was it Lion King? He's always so friendly to everybody that it's hard to distinguish between innocent bon homie and real flirting. Apparently, Lion King is great at talking to women but horrible at "closing the deal," as Married Teammate (MT) put it.

Lion King, Teacher and I sat at one end of our long table and since we are all single, the conversation inevitably turned to dating. I had previously invited both men (intelligent, over 35, employed) to a singles event that I attended with some girlfriends. LK apologized for not receiving the email in time to respond, but promised to make good on the next invitation.

And then the questions began...

"So, if we're going to be your wingmen, what kind of guy do you like?" asked LK.
So, I'm going to have two men finding dates for me? This could be interesting.

Over the next two hours and definitely more than two pitchers of beer, the questioning continued.

"What physical type? Tall? Short? Heavy? Somebody that works out?" LK and I have compared workouts in prior beer-fests. He's been working out since he was 16.

"I know you don't smoke, but would you date a smoker?"

Okay, that's when I got suspicious (so shoot me, I'm not too quick on the pickup--pun intended).
LK smokes.

"You said that you'd like a guy to be able to talk about his interests, things he's passionate about, right? For most of the season, I didn't know what LK did for a living because all he talked about was his volunteer work.

"What would be a romantic date?"
I had to mention that the idea of "romantic" is different for everyone.
"No, I mean YOU! What do YOU think would make a romantic date?"

Uh-oh! Did I mention that we've been drinking beer this entire time??

Long story short...we all walked back to our cars and said good night.

Deal left very much open.

4 comments:

Paul the Limey said...

Like you say - not a 'closer'....

Spitfire said...

Good GOD! He was dripping with eagerness! I love that you didn't take the bait...yet...;-)

So did we establish who likes Firecracker? Or is that the suspenseful writer in you??

I enjoyed meeting you also! Cubbies 2006! Woo Hoo!

Maple said...

So...how do you feel about LK? Would you go out with him??

The Writer said...

The smoking thing definitely is a big turnoff and although I might be interested in dating him, I'd really rather not date the whole team and I think that's how it would be.