Thursday, October 12, 2006

Just arrived in Croatia



Sept. 17, 2006 -CRES (island), CROATIA - After about a billion flights, we arrived in (and on) Cres on Sunday and it's as peaceful and simple and as perfect an antidote for travel insanity as anyone could want.

My 78-year-old mom, God love her, is resting after probably just two or three hours' sleep since Friday night.

I'm sitting along the promenade enjoying the sun that was threatening not to come out and marvelling at the crystal-clear water - - not a cigarette butt in sight (amazing considering all the 'euros' that smoke!)

The "beaches" that line the promenade are actually minute pieces of real estate made entirely of pebbles. This same stone (limestone?) has been made into numerous walls in this area. The Croatians should challenge the Irish to a wall-building contest, no concrete allowed!

Think I'll dip my toes into the Adriatic...

Okay, now that I've said it, I've found it - -cigarette butts. But it's not going to bother me because I challenged my mom (and myself) to practice PMA (positive mental attitude) while we're here. So no bother to butts!

Being near the water seems to soothe my soul. I don't know why, I'm not even a Pisces!

I've been so busy planning this trip that I haven't given myself time to imagine the possibilities. I guess that's good because all I've done is worry about what could go wrong and really nothing has. And just getting here was going to be the hard part.

I'm really a city girl at heart so this remote and relatively undeveloped country has surprised me with its charm. Of course, sun and water always puts me in a good mood. I'm even voluntarily sitting near small children so you can tell I'm happily descending into vacation mode.

No comments: