Sunday, April 29, 2007

I think Boston Cremes are out too

It always seemed weird to me when someone young (read: under 60) said they have a "bad back" or "bad knees" or some other "bad" body part. I kept picturing some black-and-white movie where the affliction is attributed to an old war wound.

Apparently, I now fall into the category of those with a bad back.

I must've slept through the anatomy part of my health class, because I was pretty sure I had messed up my right leg when it started to feel funky during my weekly volleyball game. Not a pulled muscle exactly, but more of a weird tightness and tingling.

After a week or resting my leg on the back of my sofa while watching TV (that's the best I can do for rehab since I've never so much as sprained anything before), it wasn't any better so I decided to ring my doctor.

My own personal diagnosis was that it was a circulatory issue since "the leg" (yes, I was referring to my body part as if it were someone else's) felt better while standing and worse after sitting for a while. Also, I have low blood pressure and occasionally suffer migraines with my poor circulation.

Uh, yeah, but no. It's a back thing. There's a very good reason why there are no letters after my name. I don't know what the hell I'm talking about in medical circles.

My doctor prescribed some physical therapy (and no volleyball or high heels, for that matter - - so I didn't even ask about volleyball in high heels), so that was my next stop.

Here's the layman's version of what's going on: a disc seems to have slipped from between my vertebre in my lower back, causing a disruption of the nerve signal to my right leg. The Food Network explanation would be: the jelly is coming out of the doughnut and we need to squish it back in.

eeewww!

No comments: