Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Are we there yet?

"The most exciting sounds in the world are train whistles, plane motors and anchor chains," said a wistful George Bailey to Uncle Billy in one of my favorite movies ("It's a Wonderful Life").

And I couldn't agree more.

I don't know what it is about travel- or at least the expectation of travel- that gets my heart pumping. Maybe it's the thrill of the unknown people, unique accents, unfamiliar food, and other mysteries that await at whatever soil my plane touches.

What to pack? Do I need my passport? Do they speak English where I'm going? Where will I stay? And, most importantly, what is there to do there?

To go or not to go?

It was with a thump in my chest that I tapped in my credit card details to make a spur-of-the-moment purchase of a very cheap (under $200) flight to Florida for next year's Martin Luther King long weekend. Okay, so Florida's no great shakes, but for me - in what will no-doubtedly be a frigid Chicago winter- it will be paradise in January.

So, let's see...I've got travel plans this month (Cincinnati for the Cubs' regular-season finale), next month (to Toronto to visit Firecracker) and November (to celebrate my birthday in Australia) and then to Florida in January. Over the weekend, I plan to cash in a free travel voucher for the Cubs' Spring Training in Arizona next March.

Don't anyone plan to come visit me in the next seven months 'cause I won't be here!!!!!!
(Cue hysterical laughter).

It was Judy Garland in "The Wizard of Oz" that said "There's no place like home."

Sorry, Judy, but I believe Jimmy.

No comments: