Saturday, May 02, 2009

When all else fails, try the US Postal Service

Okay, so I stopped by the Merchandise Mart on my lunch hour the other day (where Redbird Fan's company has an office). I found the company, but the lights were turned off, no one home. Turns out, it's one of the many companies in the Mart that are only open during trade shows, not to the public.

The glass-enclosed space listed a St. Louis phone number, so I thought I could make a quick call and find out exactly when the Chicago location would be inhabited. The woman who answered told me that the company would be participating in a May 11-14 trade show (as Redbird Fan said). I mentioned that I had met one of her coworkers over the weekend and before I could finish, she had started to transfer me to him!!!!

I panicked and hung up.

Gimme a break! Just stop for a second and think of how that conversation would go, "hello, we met over the weekend. You don't know my name and didn't tell me what company you worked for or your phone number but I tracked you down..." Sounds pretty stalker-like, doesn't it? I didn't want to put this guy on the spot, so I chickened out.

On further review, I decided that maybe I could call back and be transferred directly to his voicemail. That way, he could decide whether or not to call me back and no one is pressured to make a split-second decision.

I'm not sure how this is possible for a company to have a St. Louis headquarters but be successful enough to also have not only a location in Chicago but one in the Merchandise Mart AND NOT HAVE VOICEMAIL!!

As a last-ditch effort, I placed my business card with "thanks for the beer. maybe I can return the favor when you're in town" on the back and mailed it to his company.

We'll see.

No comments: