Saturday, August 15, 2009

Denver 2009, okay, actually just Coors Field


Um...what??? Rockpile?? Since when is that a legitimate seating area??? In case you're wondering, it's the cheapseats that are directly above dead-center field. Apparently, they're sold day-of-game and can cost as little as $5!


While walking to Coors Field, I spotted a statue in front of the ballpark. Quick! Name a single Rockies player (current or former) that would merit a statue. Can't think of anyone? Me neither. Guess this is a statue of the 'everyman' player. Kinda lame, methinks.


Okay, this is kinda neat. On the centerfield concourse, the average joe could be (at least for half an inning), Joe Buck...or Pat Hughes...or the next Harry Caray! For a small fee, you can announce the Rockies game as it's being played. Not sure where the broadcast is heard or if it's recorded.



Less than a block from Coors Field are several bars and restaurants...in short, a pretty fun area to hang out. I'm guessing the owner is a transplanted Chicagoan. For the most part, I felt pretty welcomed by the Rockies fans (of course, that could be because my boys looked awful for much of the weekend and the Rockies, by comparison, looked fabulous!)


Aramis Ramirez congratulates Derrek Lee after he scored in Saturday's game. Too bad these two couldn't put together more offense as the Cubs dropped three of four games in Colorado.

Nice park, huh? Shitty beer, though. And the food service is practically self-serve as I counted five vendors between home plate and right field during one point during the game on Saturday. That's five IN TOTAL, not five just in my aisle. Oh, did I mention you can get SALAD at a stand on the concourse?


This is not Barney, the purple dinosaur. It's Dinger, the Rockies' mascot. What the hell a dinosaur has to do with Colorado I had to know. The woman sitting next to me on Sunday filled me in. "When they were digging the hole for the ballpark, they found dinosaur bones. They had to shut the whole thing down for a while because it became an excavation site." So now you know the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey would've said.

Although Ryan Dempster's pitching has been very good at times and mediocre at others, his batting has been consistently....um, how to put this kindly? Less-than-spectacular. I think Rockies pitcher (and former Cub) Jason Marquis knew this.

This is the view of the outfield from the centerfield concourse. Yep, I know, I could sit and watch the fountains in this best-EVER batter's eye too!

No comments: