Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Taking on 'the man'

Anyone that knows me knows that I don't really back down from a fight. Hell, I've even been known to start them (not a word, Maple!). This one is pretty unusual though. Here's the deal:

I have AT&T as the carrier for my home phone. The home phone that I NEVER USE. Actually, I'm not really sure why I even have it. My mother is the only person who calls and leaves a message. The other callers are usually sales calls (I can tell because I have caller ID), so I don't pick it up and they don't leave messages.

Last week I received my AT&T bill and noticed that it showed that I made 72 local calls between December 10 and January 5. Since AT&T stopped sending out detailed invoices, I had to request one to find out just whom I was supposedly calling in those 72 calls.

Every single call was to the number I call to retrieve whatever messages have been recorded. Every single one! I don't know about you, but I only check for messages when that little light is on to tell me that a message exists. I'm not so obsessive-compulsive that I check every 15 minutes or so.

Yeah, tell that to AT&T! According to this invoice, I checked my messages 16 times on December 10th! Hmmn? The truly funny part is that 14 of those 16 calls where made while I was at work! So unless my houseplants have somehow been trained to dial a phone, those calls were not made from my house.

I also noticed that some of the calls overlap (a 2-minute call at 2:17pm and another one at 2:18 pm) but was told that since AT&T rounds up to the next minute, it is possible that I made back-to-back calls and they would seemingly overlap.

Does this sound fishy to you??? More importantly, does this sound like the beginnings of a class-action lawsuit?

Oh, by the way, a friend of mine in St. Louis just got a notice from AT&T that he could be eligible to benefit from a class-action lawsuit against AT&T for overcharging! Hmmnn?

2 comments:

Paul the Limey said...

These large corporations trade on the fact that most of us are too intimidated to dispute items like this.

Knowing you as I do (and I mean this kindly) you will not back away from this daylight robbery.

Unknown said...

I once had a AT&T phone, my business at the time was thriving at I had a girlfriend at the time that would call me throughout the day from her company vehicle. I had 2000 minutes and no matter how i planned, i always was 300 over not matter what i did and was told several times that was the largest plan they had. Just before i broke up with my ex, i finally got a honest operator that informed me of a commercial account plan that upped my minutes to 3000. So with major depression of losing my sweetie i took off for a month, (Barely any job calls, slept watched tv all day living like a hermit), and of course no calls from her. Then i got my next bill, still 300 over! when i asked for explanation they start naming numbers that ive called before, like my mom, well yes i know that number, and that number too, but not over 3000 minutes, and my phone minutes used counter says 1100 minutes used...SORRY SIR, YOU OBVIOUSLY KNOW THESE PHONE NUMBERS. YOUR PHONE COUNTER MUST BE DAMAGED, YOU HAVE TO BE MORE CONSCIOUS OF THE MINUTES YOU USE, WILL THAT BE VISA OR MASTERCHARGE.???? All i can say is the only thing AAT will ever mean to me again in life is they are the letters i use to spell ATT-ENTION.