Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A tough crowd

A small local company recently held a 'meet and greet' at a local bar as a way to interview potential new employees. The company organizes social events for people of varying ages (or so they say).

Not sure why, but I attended this peculiar interviewing session. Okay, it was out of curiosity (and the fact that if someone wants to pay me to have fun with a ton of strangers, I'm in!)

One of the employees tried to get our small group chatting by asking weird questions like 'if you could be a food item, what would you be?' She didn't get much response with that, so I jumped in with another (hopefully) conversation-starter:

A while back, friends of mine used to hold 'come-as-your-favorite-celebrity parties. You could be anyone, alive or dead...even a character. So one of my friends came as...well, I'll let you guess.

He had dark hair with about a day's growth of beard. He wore a red velour bath robe, black cowboy boots and a straw cowboy hat. Can you guess who he was??

Hawkeye Pierce (from M*A*S*H)!!



Complete silence. Blank looks.

Oh, did I mention there wasn't a single person in the room over 30 years old!?!?! I've never felt so old in MY LIFE!!!

2 comments:

Julian Hernandez said...

I totally understand. Not sure how old you are, but I'm 34. I've always loved going to see bands live. It was great going in high school and college and hanging out watching the opening bands and just standing around looking cool. But nowadays, I rarely ever go to shows. I feel so old. A lot of the punk and hardcore bands I like just attract a younger audience.

I went to see a band called Showbread a few years ago, and actually left before the show started. It was all teenagers there. For once, I was "that old guy" that my friends and I used to make fun of when I was a teenager.

Crazy! Anyway, great post!

Marv said...

Alas, I feel your pain.
Fun story. Thanks