Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Sun-induced amnesia

PORT DOUGLAS - -Well, I've done it. I've lost track of what day it is. That always happens to me when I'm in Australia. Not sure why. Could be because IT.JUST.DOESN'T.MATTER!!!

Okay, I guess it matters a little when I've booked a tour like tomorrow (Cape Tribulation...look it up!) and the Great Barrier Reef on Thursday for my birthday trip.

I've been in Port Douglas for two days now and it already feels like home. The heat and humidity is just what my psyche needed. Christel (the manager/owner of the apartments where I'm staying) bought me a bottle of "bubbly" for my birthday. Isn't that fabulous!!

I spent the better part of my first afternoon here just sitting on a promontory under some palm trees, watching the ocean (or to be more exact, the Coral Sea). It's amazing how hypnotic the incoming tide can be. With each wave, I could feel my shoulders relax and my mind open up to the sights and sounds of nature. It was so unbelievably beautiful and calming.

Sorry I don't have photos yet, but maybe some imagery will do.

A huge flock of parrots exploded from a nearby palm tree and as the cloud of green feathers turned en masse toward its destination, amid cries and squawks, the afternoon sun ignited their bright red breasts.

Geez, I could really get used to this.

Oh, before I forget. Leg Shaver Guy text messaged me today (yesterday too) and said he tried to send me the photo of him as a girl, but my email wouldn't let it through. Any ideas why?? I suggested he try my other email address, so we'll see.

No comments: