Saturday, November 05, 2005

Bye bye Perth

PERTH - - Well, I've checked out of my hotel and am officially homeless for about 8 hours until I go to the airport to fly to Cairns (and shuttle up to Port Douglas).

My first impressions of Perth are mixed. Of course, I'm sad to be leaving here. That's a familiar feeling whenever I travel, no matter how much fun I've had.

During past trips, I've visited Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, the Gold Coast and Port Douglas, so I already know a lot about Australia. So many aspects of Australian life are so familiar to me, but Perth is new territory, at least to me.

I'd have to compare my first visit to Perth to spending a vacation with distant family members. There are moments of uncomfortable silence (not knowing what to do first), the getting-to-know-you phase (making sense of the city map and learning which street your hotel is on), and of course, the familiar stuff that convinces you that you really are family (beets on the burgers at McDonalds, "thank you" replaced by "no worries.")

On the whole, Perth is pretty cool. I mean that literally. It's been strange weather, hot sun-burning weather in the sun and sweatshirt weather in the shade. And windy! I've been told that Perth is the fourth windiest city on the planet. Yep, Chicago is No. 1. I think San Francisco is in there somewhere too.

If you ever come to Perth, there are some things you should definitely do (maybe 4 days worth, MAX!):

- wine tasting in Swan Valley (most of the Elizabeth River wines are processed here)
- day trip to Fremantle (see Fremantle prison - - built in 1850s, in use until 1991!!!!; visit Fremantle Maritime Museum - - much more interactive that I would have expected; hit the Fremantle Markets on the weekend, souvenirs plus fabulous fresh produce!)
- walk, picnic and hike in Kings Park and botanic gardens. I mention the hike part because a large chunk of Kings Park is recovering bushland and they let you picnic on the grass!

Of course, I'd have to say the highlight of my Perth visit was meeting Leg Shaver Guy. He flew home to Adelaide this morning. Even if I don't hear from him again, it was good practice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is Melbourne like?? I am likely moving there at the end of january to do a masters degree ;-)

The Writer said...

Hi Jessie,
You'll love Melbourne, I do! It's very cosmopolitan and Australia's center of culture. By this I mean, they've got great restaurants and clubs (think live jazz) plus the best botanical garden I've ever seen. Even if you're not a big fan of gardens, spend an afternoon there and you will be. I'm deeply envious!