Monday, December 19, 2005

Mission accomplished...sort of

I'm feeling much more in control of my holiday gift-giving now, having secured nine- - count 'em NINE- -Christmas presents in a little under two hours of shopping on Saturday!

Feel free to be impressed.

I'm a good shopper. By that I mean, I decide what to buy, go into the store and buy it, and GET OUT! None of this lollygagging around the mall, hoping the perfect gift idea will jump out and bite me in the ass!!

I also try to get pretty good value for my money. That's not to say that I won't spend quite a bit of money on Christmas gifts. I always do that. I also attempt to balance my desire to have a very happy recipient with my need not to go broke!

One Christmas present that was purchased on Saturday has definitely met the "good value" requirement, but may also end up being a royal pain in my backside. Let me explain:

With several gifts already purchased, I came upon a very pretty cashmere sweater that I thought would be perfect for my sister-in-law. She and my brother have been married since I was in grammar school, so I've never felt that we were close buddies what with the difference in age and life experiences and all.

Anyway, the sweater was almost $100 (out of price range), but the 30% off sale slipped it right under the radar and onto the cashier's counter. This is where it gets interesting. The cashier announced that she had an extra discount card that she had just scanned and I would receive an extra $50 off!!! The wonderfully soft and luxurious $100 sweater would end up costing me a bit over TEN DOLLARS!!!

Great, right!?!?!

Think this through with me.

It's Christmas Eve and my sister-in-law opens the gift (yes, we open most stuff on Christmas Eve, I don't know why) and decides she doesn't like the color or it doesn't fit or she's allergic to cashmere. For whatever reason, she decides to return it. Walking up to the customer service department after Christmas, she is told that she will receive a TEN DOLLAR CREDIT.

Please!! For my sake, let's all say a little prayer that she loves the sweater and it fits!!!

No comments: