Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Head explodes from pressure release: film at 11

To say I've been a wee bit tense about my job situation would be an understatement. Actually, I've been pretty much one big clenched butt muscle for about a year now.

Until today.

Our new CEO is a tough, but fair man who formerly held the position of board member for this same company until about five years ago. When I heard he was coming back, I resisted the urge to do a little happy dance.

You see, he's always been appreciative of my work and pretty good to work with. I won't say he's a pushover because he's definitely NOT (Hell, he's German!), but he says what he means (a pretty unique talent around here lately).

Currently, our office is in a state of upheaval with part of the company being sold off (or killed off, depending who you ask) and only about a dozen people being kept on staff. Trouble is, for a variety of reasons, I haven't had much support in my role here.

Until today.

The CEO arrived and I met him in the hallway and couldn't resist giving him a hug. He had a big smile when he saw me and hugged me back with a very-European two-cheek kiss. He told me I haven't changed a bit! (he looks exactly the same, too!) It was more like a meeting of old friends, rather than one of boss and totem-pole bottom dweller.

He mentioned that he and his wife will attend my former co-worker's wedding in Barcelona, Spain and asked if I was going, too.

"I'd like to, but I have to see if I have a job here first," I said quietly.

"Don't worry. You have my 100% support. I'm glad you're still here."

I coulda kissed him.

2 comments:

Caterpillar said...

Yay! That's fabulous! And as you know, I have a soft spot for Germans :)

Steph said...

It's a wonderful thing when we actually LIKE our bosses. I've only had that once so far, and was made redundant anyway.Grrrrrr!!