Saturday, October 21, 2006

A dip in the Adriatic Sea



September 21, 2006 -OPATIJA, CROATIA - - Mom's been slowly catching a cold, so I've been left to my own devices while she naps. After watching tons of tourists (mostly Germans, or so I'm told) swimming in the beautiful blue waters of the Adriatic, I decided to give it a go.

The sun was hot, temps in the low 80s and I found a small alcove where only a few people had chosen to jump in.

For me, all outdoor bodies of water are met with a certain amount of suspicion. This was no different. You know how a quick dip in a lake feels good on a hot day? The initial chill wears off once you splash around for a few minutes and get used to the temperature.

I descended the ladder to my knees and knew I was in trouble, but thought, "don't be a baby." I let go of the ladder and splashed into the dark, deep waters of the Adriatic Sea.

For the first time in my life, I was certain I would die of cardiac arrest - - and right now! Every inch of my body said, "Hey stupid! Get the fuck out of this water!!!"

So I did.

No comments: