Sunday, January 06, 2008

The apple fell pretty far I guess

As is the norm for Saturday mornings, I drove out to the suburbs to take my 80-year-old mother out to breakfast. It was a deal we made when I became a North Sider and moved "all the way up here" (about 30 minutes north).

Anyway, since I know that my mom likes to live vicariously through me, I try to come prepared with little tidbits of things that are going on in my life. You know, so the breakfast will be entertaining for her. And, so she won't get on my nerves about not having her idea of a perfect life (i.e. husband, kids, dog, house with white picket fence). The woman really knows how to push my buttons sometimes.

In keeping with my new spirit of life in 2008, I thought I'd let my mom know about the volunteer projects that I'm signing up for (including serving dinner to some homeless people and helping to re-organize the library in a local charter school).

This from the woman who has cleaned our local church every week since time began,
"Why would you let them take advantage of you like that?"

Yep, did your jaw drop open too?

3 comments:

Colton K said...

That was a good posting and I am the kid who came up to you at the cubs game a while ago. I love the cubs and I was wondering if you knew where any good priced tickets are.

Anonymous said...

Hi Colton,
Yep, I remember you. Tickets will be expensive this year, but you might be able to find a season-ticket holder willing to resell his/her tickets on Craig's List.
Good luck and Go Cubs!

Paul the Limey said...

YUp - parents you can never second guess how they will react to anything....