Friday, January 04, 2008

The great is starting (I think)

Way back last summer when Firecracker (now Maple) and I used to go to Cubs games, we'd meet a lot of fun people. One of these people was a guy I called the Tall Southern Gentleman (TSG).

You may remember that TSG and I were in touch until late August when his best friend and said friend's wife were involved in a terrible car accident. The wife died and TSG was hit very hard as she was like a sister to him. He fell out of touch.

Fast forward to November.

Upon returning from Australia, I decided to drop him a line. He had warned that he'd be out of contact 'for quite some time,' but since I didn't know him very well, his definition of 'quite some time' might be different from mine.

I received a nice, polite email in return, saying that he thought about me quite a bit when the Cubs went to the playoffs (alas, his Detroit Tigers crashed and burned). Nothing about coming to Chicago to take me to dinner (which is where we left it in August). Hmmnn??

A few weeks and a few emails went by and it became more and more apparent that he was only returning my emails with no new input from him.

So, in light of my new mantra, I decided to call him on it. Fish or cut bait, right?

I waited until after the holiday craziness died down and then sent an email explaining my new mantra and how I expect great things for not only me, but also for people I know. And, essentially, is he IN or is he OUT?

A few short hours later, I had my answer.

"I am in."

1 comment:

Paul the Limey said...

Keep me advised - i am fascinated....