Tuesday, December 14, 2010

NOT the next Food Network star

My 80-something mother has long had a habit of having long telephone conversations with total strangers. She has been known to make a rather large purchase (like a new roof for her house) OVER THE PHONE! So when she relayed this story to me, I wasn't entirely surprised...only terribly dismayed.
Apparently, my mother's homeowners insurance and auto insurance rates have increased dramatically recently with no good reason. Mom isn't usually one to fight the system, but surprisingly, she took it upon herself to call someone and discuss the situation.
A young lady in Omaha (?) answered the phone when Mom called about her homeowners insurance. After about 25 minutes, the young lady was able to determine that Mom's rates shouldn't have been so high and was able to bring them down to a manageable level.
Mom was pleased.
The young lady asked my mom (apropos of nothing) if she bakes.
"Um, yes, sometimes," my mother replied.
"Well, my grandmother used to bake bread from scratch," the Omaha miss explained. "A few years after she died, I decided I would try to make some bread. I went to the store and asked if they had scratch."

I am not making this up.

1 comment:

Tillie said...

That is PRICELESS!!!! Once in a while I get an e-mail entitled "they walk among us"...this Definitely needs to be on the list. lol