Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Does this happen to other women??

I just returned from a late lunch (actually just a break to see daylight and let my eyes recover from computer strain). Ran across the street to get a side salad and find a place to sit in the sun. There's a great little courtyard that's about a dozen steps up from the sidewalk, so I decided to sit there.

My skirt, however, decided to entertain the tourists waiting for the bus on the corner and flew up on (almost) all sides. No screaming (I just swear), I grabbed as much as I could and sat down faster than the last competitor in musical chairs!

After tucking as much of my skirt under me as possible, I ate my salad and then "tested the waters" of getting up. Nope, the wind was coming from everywhere. I was trapped!

I mulled over my options: 1) spend the night here and hope the wind dies down, 2) find the largest tourist I can and walk VERY CLOSE behind him to my building, 3) call my boss and ask him to bring me his belt.

Wait a minute! A belt? I have a belt on this skirt. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I created the newest fashion statement by tying my belt at the top of my thighs (and saying a silent prayer that it held). I'm calling it "The Hefty Bag."

Oh, and I think I've decided to sew ball bearings into the hem of this skirt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know thats a fantastic mental image... Mrs Limey and I are still smirking about it.

Carrie said...

Since I am a HUGE fan of the flouncy skirt, I seem to pull the "Seven Year Itch" on a daily basis. Most recently I flashed a row of homeless men and some school children on a field trip. It took a more than a few fateful and rather ill-timed passes over the subway grate before I remembered to avoid them and maintain at least a modicum of decency.