Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Garbage-picking, corporate level

"Pretty nice, huh?"
When my boss walked past my desk carrying two more-than-slightly-used solid wood in/out boxes that he pilfered from the dumpster near the freight elevator, I had to shake my head.

We have officially become garbage-pickers, I thought. How low will we sink?

Another coworker proudly walked off with a small green plant with intentions of dressing up her desk area.

Having seen my boss' loot, I strolled over to the hallway that held the remnants of what used to be our neighbor's office. In front of me was a Toyota-sized gray dumpster or as I like to call it, the homeless person's Office Max.

Our one and only neighbor on this floor moved out on Friday. It's not that we have the rest of the floor to ourselves, it's more a case of our little office being surrounded by a bunch of nothingness. I'm trying to look on the bright side and realize that anyone that gets off the elevator on the 24th floor is, by default, coming to see us. I guess that's good.

Just so you know, my haul consisted of exactly one thing and it's pretty sad actually: a round, rolling step stool that sits flat on the ground when stepped on.

My mother would be proud.

No comments: