Wednesday, August 24, 2005

One in a million

Now tell me honestly, does this look like the type of place to harbor a killer?
According to CNN, SHARK ATTACK

some diver became lunch for a great white shark off the coast of Adelaide (don't worry, I'm not going to Adelaide).

For those statisticians out there, the chances of me getting snacked on by a shark are 1 in 10 million. Compare that to the 1 in 4.3 million chance of getting hit by lightning and sure, I'll go snorkeling. Of course, even better are the odds of getting hurt falling out of bed (1 in 370,000). Personally, I think this last one depends on how much Jack Daniels is consumed. ;-0.

It's so bizarre to think that my favorite country has so many ways to kill me! Spiders, snakes, sharks...you want to get killed? Australia can accommodate. If you don't believe me, read "In a Sunburnt Country" by Bill Bryson. It's hysterical, in a scary kinda way!

By the way, this photo was taken in Port Douglas, a tiny little town near the jump-off point for the Great Barrier Reef. Picture Key West, Florida about 40 years ago. It has one main street and you can walk from one end of town to the other in about 15 minutes (20 minutes if you window shop).

65 days and counting!

No comments: