Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A reality check

Okay, here I am feeling depressed about the Cubs' 6-game losing streak. My wonderful friends have suffered through my ranting about their lack of effort and seeming disregard for the loyal fans.

Just when I'm feeling sorry for myself, reality comes along and gives me a smack upside my head. CNN has just reported that Dana Reeve (widow of actor Christopher "Superman" Reeve) has lung cancer.

Tell me this woman hasn't already been through enough, caring for her paralyzed husband for nine years before his death last year. She said she's already started treatment and can feel Chris with her, especially now.

Peter Jennings of ABC News announced he had lung cancer in April and died just the other day. The American Cancer Society reports that the 5-year survival rate for lung cancer patients is 15%.

God speed, Dana.

No comments: