Monday, August 08, 2005

Thank G for friends

I'm one of those people who doesn't have a TON of friends, just a few close ones. Sometimes I wish I had a whole mob o' pals, but then I remember how lucky I am to have these few people in my life. I wouldn't want to "water down" the intimacy that I have with these wonderful people.

I spent this past weekend with one of my friends (Firecracker) and it was a real, too-much-to-do, too-little-time, fun-packed summer weekend. She works so much that she hasn't had too many of these yet...and its already August!

We attended a street fest in my neighborhood that celebrates the gay lifestyle (neither of us are). She got hit on by at least 3 guys (and one of them was gay!) Quite an accomplishment for a straight girl in that 'hood!

We've only known each other a few years, and it's wonderful that we can both share intimate details of our pasts without judgement (a conscious effort for me), call each other with silly little comments about how much our Cubs suck lately, and discuss the pros and cons of shopping at Victoria Secret. I'm very thankful that we've become friends and I hope I never take our friendship for granted.

I'm afraid that I've grown apart from my East Coast friend (I'll call her Jada) in the time since she's moved out there. Hopefully, my visit will help to mend any bonds that have broken or been stretched too thin.

She visited me recently and saw immediately that something was wrong. Well, if you could call having no direction in my life a problem, then yes. Jada let me know that there's a wine festival in her area while I'm there. I believe a nice reisling could push us toward the conversation that is so woefully overdue.

Jada is one of the most fabulous, creative, loving and accepting people I know and I find myself being intimidated by her life. She made a plan for herself when she was, oh, probably 4 years old and she's stuck to it. She's got a master's degree and is married to a doctor and here I am, divorced (no boyfriend) with a crappy, dead-end job. I'm not jealous, just envious.

We'll need a LOT of wine, I think. But that's what friends are for, right?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As part of a Limey couple that count you as a close friend its a pleasure seeing you once every few years...