Sunday, September 11, 2005

A change in the air

What is it about a change of seasons that makes a person want to change other things??

Of course, I recognize that it's normal for me to get antsy at this time of year; the school kids are buying supplies and new clothes and preparing for a new school year; the level of busy-ness at work escalates; and I finalize plans for my annual birthday trip.

But this year, with a lot of help from HGTV (Home and Garden television, for those out-of-US folks), I've been planning some remodeling. Okay, let's be honest: I've been "planning" to remodel my 1950s-era bathroom for the entire three years that I've lived in my condo. Until lately, this "planning" has been entirely confined to the small, crowded space between my ears. But this weekend, I actually went out to price a new tub, sink, shower doors, etc.

I have one thing to say: AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Those people that know me will not be at all surprised to discover that pretty much everything that I liked was the MOST EXPENSIVE item available! i.e. the tub is $1200, the shower door(s) is $1900 (plus $350 for nickel finish instead of chrome), the sink.....okay, don't even get me started on sinks!

Did I mention that my bathroom is the smallest bathroom known to man? I call it the "mini pee."

I haven't even given much thought to tile, although I'm leaning toward only tiling the tub area and leaving the rest of the walls for paint.

After hearing how much I would be spending on this tiny space, I was offered the services of an interior designer...for free! Something for free? OMG, I think I'll faint! The designer's job is to provide ideas to the homeowner.

Um, well, I've never really been short of ideas. For example, instead of a regular bathroom door, I'd like to put in a pocket door (slides into the wall) and install a 6-inch deep cabinet into the behind-the-door space. Of course, the cabinet would have to be custom-made. $$$

I've got some info on a guy who should be able to do the work for me. (He's a young Polish guy with a strange name, but he answers to "Jimmy.") A friend of mine had her bathroom remodeled by this guy and he was done in 2 weeks. I'll have to check my calendar...for next spring, I think.

I took notes on manufacturers and style names so now it's up to me to find better prices and if there is one thing I am good at, it's getting the most for my money!

Oh, and if all goes well, my bedroom is next on the schedule. How does yellow walls, a white ceiling and bamboo wood floors sound? I'm going for a summer beach house look.

Wish me luck!!

No comments: