Friday, September 16, 2005

Do I need this?

I met a guy, actually two guys, while I was at the Cubs game the other night. One wanted my complete attention and the other wanted my money.

No, I wasn't robbed.

At least I don't think I was. Okay, on second thought, I probably was.

The first guy I'll called the Unfan, walked past me in the ballpark, but stopped and came back. I was sitting in the first row of the aisle next to a bunch of empty seats. He asked if they were taken (what is this, a movie theatre?) and I said that I didn't know. He sat down two seats from me and started talking to me and NEVER STOPPED!

His name is Matt and he's at the game because a friend of his gave him these tickets at the last minute. Does he go to a lot of games? No. He doesn't really think of it (his words). He doesn't really like to watch games. He then proceeded to tell me that his favorite baseball player was Roberto Clemente (what? when you were about 2?, I was thinking)
That's when I stopped listening.

Attention male sports event spectators!!! If a woman is attending a sporting event alone, she is probably a big fan of that sport and WANTS TO WATCH THE GAME so shut the F up!

After the fourth inning, I really had to go to the loo, so I excused myself, saying "bathroom break" and did just that. Of course, I didn't come back to my seat, instead searching out a Wrigley Field employee who allowed me to sit closer to homeplate (since it wasn't a sellout).

Whew!

After the game, things got really weird. While walking home, I met an East Coast guy who told me that he was supposed to get a ride to the airport from a friend of a friend, but that guy got arrested and his car is impounded (with Bahston guy's luggage, wallet and cell phone in it). He needs $12 to get this guy bailed out because the jailee has $82 and bail is $100.

As I write this, I'm thinking it was a scam. God is getting back at me for delaying my contribution to the Katrina recovery. (There are so many ways to contribute, I'm trying to decide whether to just give $$ or volunteer at the Red Cross or what.)

Anyway, this guy used my cell phone to call the friend who set up the ride (and leave him a nasty message about his situation). And yes, I did check the number and got a pre-recorded message about the party not being available. Totally suspicious.

Okay, yes I did give this idiot some $$ (not much) and directions to the Belmont/Western police station (where the jailee was supposedly being held).

Oh, and Bahston guy told me he just signed a rental agreement in the highrise across the street from me and is moving to Chicago to open a bar in Wrigleyville. He asked me to write down my name and cell phone number so he can call me and return the money. Yeah, right!

Great, just what we need...more bars in Wrigleyville and more men with no common sense...or even worse, more scam artists!

If this is what's out there on the singles scene, maybe my mom was right: I should've become a nun!

1 comment:

Paul the Limey said...

Based upon that little story Mrs Limey and I have some prime building land in the Everglades if your interested ???

Women alone at sporting events kind of scare me.. My HR Training and Development lady does motorsports alone - and she is VERY scary.