Sunday, October 16, 2005

Cultural enlightenment

In my continuing effort to experience culture on a worldwide (or is it worldwise?) basis, I happily accepted an invitation to a birthday party for my Mexican friend's 9-year-old son. I missed the smashing of the pinata, but I was thrilled to enjoy a margarita and some sinus-blazing mole and chicken. Wonderful!!!

Since I'd already enjoyed my friend's hospitality at a previous function, I wasn't surprised to find myself once again, the token gringa. A great opportunity to practice my Spanish (I can't even claim high-school Spanish since I took French.)

To really expand the whole cultural thing, I found myself heading out the door after having made a tentative date with another non-Mexican party guest (actually, I think we might have been the ONLY non-Mexicans.) You're going to love this - - he's the birthday boy's martial arts teacher, he's younger than me (somewhere between 25-31) and he's Romanian. Oh, it gets better!! He used to be a clothing designer and an exotic dancer.

Now THAT's how you end a weekend!

1 comment:

Paul the Limey said...

... and to think I was impressed with the fact I mowed my lawn.

You really know how to do it girlfriend!