Friday, October 21, 2005

A dentist's dream

Yes, I was. And I can firmly, and without reservation, place the blame on at least one suburban institution: Packy's. It was-- and still is, I think -- an areawide distributor of pre-pubescent deviance.

It's a candy store. (You sickos! What did you THINK I was talking about?!?!)

A real wall-to-wall shop full of penny, three-cent, five-cent and (for the big spenders) 15-cent candies.

I thought of it because a colleague of mine brought in a family-sized bag of what SHOULD be Halloween candy. Yeah, right. Like it's going to last that long!

I'm chewing on Sweet Tarts right now, having already eaten my strawberry Laffy Taffy. I took a small selection which includes Bottle Caps and Runts (oooh! there are not one or two, but THREE bananas in the Runts!!)

My parents taught me to share, so I brought another small selection to other colleagues and the talk began of Charleston Chews, Marathon bars and Slo-Pokes.

Okay, the conversation actually started with Lik M' Ade. Remember the fruity-flavored powder that you ate from the pouch by licking the weird-tasting, plastic-looking and dipping it into the powder?

Do you remember the long strips of strawberry (or were they cherry) licorice that you'd tie in knots before you eat it? What was that called? How about the candy bracelets and necklaces?

How I have ANY teeth left in my head is one of my family's biggest mysteries.

I've heard there's an online candy store where these cheap thrills still exist. Does anyone know the website??

No comments: