Monday, October 03, 2005

A little light reading

My living room is illuminated by the lights of Wrigley Field although I know no game is being played there. The construction crews must be there, planning and scheduling the new bleacher seats that were finally approved.

For everyone else, it's fall. For me, it's the off-season. My plan for the next 190-odd days until Opening Day 2006 is to become a total baseball geek. Toward that end, I just bought the Cultural Encyclopedia of Baseball, an 888-page tome of baseball facts, figures and great stories. No, that was not a typo, it is almost 900 pages of minutae about my favorite sport.

Did you know that slugger Jose Canseco was voted to the All-Star team in 1990 despite HAVING NOT PLAYED AT ALL THAT YEAR DUE TO INJURY.

Another thing...when the Giants and the Dodgers moved out to the west coast in the 1950s, Major League Baseball instituted a rule that stated that in the event of a plane crash, the remaining teams would have to volunteer a player to make up for the missing team. MLB still have a version of this rules in the books somewhere. Just creeps me out thinking about it!

Okay, I'm a total dork.

One more....in the Venezuela winter leagues, the fans have been known to throw iguanas at the players! Maybe that's why our shitty centerfield Corey Patterson doesn't want to play winter ball!

How many more days till Spring Training?

No comments: