Monday, November 21, 2005

Aussie vocabulary words/phrases

In order to truly get a taste of my time here Down Under, I've compiled a few words and/or phrases that have actually been spoken to me in the last three weeks. Yes, they DO speak English down here (sort of):

How ya going? = How are you?
Fair dinkum = honestly
No worries = no problem
mozzies = mosquitos
cossie = swim costume
sunnies = sunglasses
my shout = my treat

Food words:
capsicum = bell pepper
rocket = salad
serviette = napkin
brekky = breakfast
biscuit (or bikky) = cookie
crisps = potato chips
chips = french fries
fillet= pronounced "fill it"

I wonder what my usual pizza place will say if I order a "funghi" pizza?

2 comments:

Mone said...

I like the translation of the words ;o) The people in Great Britain use the term chips for french fries to.

Paul the Limey said...

It seems to me that your time spent with the Limey family did not involve enough listening as we routinely use most of those terms..

Here have a biscuit from the boot of my car, and some chips too!

Love The Limey Family