Monday, May 22, 2006

Song of my life

I went on a dinner date with Dancing Lawyer on Saturday night. We dined at a cute little family-owned Italian restaurant, a safe choice for a first date.

I don't know why I bothered to convene the wardrobe congress to decide my attire when Dancing Lawyer arrived dressed as though he just crawled out of bed: jeans, an unironed and untucked white dress shirt with the cuffs rolled over and the neck unbuttoned to display a white undershirt.

On the evening that we met, DL's hair situation was a mystery since he wore a baseball cap (backwards) all evening. This night, however, the thin blond coif was gelled into a stunted rhino horn. Add to that the slight goatee and he seemed to be quite...pointed. If his hair had been dark, he would've made a great Satan.

In a surprisingly thoughtful move, DL remembered part of our initial conversation and asked me about a situation at my office. I jumped in with what I hoped was an interesting (and not too long) story of international business. He bounced back with his own company's travails and the evening's conversation volleyed back and forth at a good pace.

He spoke of planning a trip with his brother. I REALLY didn't want to hit the "how old are you?" button, so I sidestepped it with "just one brother? older or younger?"

His older brother is 30!

I forced a forkful of gnocchi in my mouth (since it was already hanging open) and tried to think of a new topic - quick!

By dinner's end, I had decided that my new social strategy will include dating in bulk: if I can't get quality, go for quantity.

Stopping in the ladies room while DL paid the bill, I froze in my tracks when a line from the recorded background music hit my ears.

"They're all either too young or too old."

1 comment:

Caterpillar said...

"Stunted rhino horn" - that's fabulous!! I heard another girl call it "the rooster". Whatever it is, it's so silly and your term is hysterical!