Monday, June 05, 2006

In enemy territory without reinforcements

On a whim, I decided to roadtrip to St. Louis and support my Cubs in their efforts against the rat-bastard Cardinals. Keep in mind that my boys are languishing in fifth place while St. Louis sits atop the division.
Here is my weekend, by the numbers:
300 - number of miles between Chicago and St. Louis.
3.5 - number of hours it took me to get to St. Louis on Saturday morning
0 - number of speeding tickets received (whew!)
2 - number of games my Cubs took from the Cardinals (of a 3-game series YAY!)
4 - number of blocks from the new Busch Stadium my hotel was located
3 - number of drinks offered to me by locals
65 - age of first St. Louis man I met (investment banker who drives a pickup truck...seriously!)
5 - number of Chicago Cubs personnel I met while at dinner Saturday night (including Dusty Baker, Ryan Dempster, Glendon Rusch, Derrek Lee and Jacque Jones)
11 - time of evening that Dancing Lawyer called me after I texted him about Cubs encounter.
88 - dollars spent on each ticket in the elite section of the new Busch Stadium
7 - inning in which the supposedly "elite" food court closed!
69 - price of my hotel room (and a Radisson next to the Arch, no less!)
15.75 - dollars spent to buy a flame-baked pizza and a large beer at Busch

The look on closer Ryan Dempster's face when a young Cubs fan repeatedly called to him to get an autograph - - except that he called him "Kerry Wood!"

PRICELESS!

No comments: