Sunday, November 12, 2006

And now for something completely different

MELBOURNE-- When I first arrived in Melbourne, I resented it. I resented Melbourne for not being Port Douglas. For not being hot, sunny and mellow like my beloved PD. For not having that no shoes? no worries! attitude of PD.

But, just like people, you can't compare places. So, in search of the comfort of familiarity, I went to Manchester Lane, a jazz club where I enjoyed a great dinner and fun live music a few years back.

My evening was one like I never had in PD. I was drafted into a partying group of 20-somethings who invited me to come out with them tonight to some bar in Brunswick (?). While chatting with the bartenders (mostly female, so nothing there), I was approached by a young black woman who told me that I give off a great vibe and would I like to learn about white witchcraft. Um, huh??

Meanwhile, my bartender buddy Clare, had decided to name a drink after me. Apparently, it's scotch, Grand Marnier and ginger beer (ale) served in a glass with a sugared rim. Since I had been drinking kir royales (champagne and chambord) all night, I decided to come back another time to try "my" drink.

Partying with kids, white witchcraft and a drink named after me...Welcome to Melbourne!

No comments: