Sunday, October 30, 2005

Not your usual woman

(aboard Qantas flight 455 to Sydney)
Something is wrong with me. Something is ve-ry, ve-ry wrong with me. Here I am, on a flight to Australia, a grown woman on the verge of hitting the big 4-0. I am watching an inflight movie, "Fever Pitch," a movie about a rampant Red Sox fan and how his fandom affects his relationships.

Here I am, tearing up. I miss my Cubs and Wrigley Field. I understand rampant fandom and what it's like to have a "summer family."

I heard they re-made the end of the movie because the Red Sox won the World Series that year (2003). The movie credits rolled at the end with scenes of a championship parade not unlike the one I just witnessed in Chicago for the White Sox.

Yes, in this chest still beats the heart of the diehard Cub fan. No, I didn't become a White Sox fan to join the parade of bandwagon groupies.

At some point in the movie, the star offered this rationalization for his fandom, "It's good for your soul to invest in something you can't control."

Now there's an idea I can really get behind.

Go Cubs!

No comments: