Monday, October 31, 2005

Sydney, mid 70s, sunny, breezy

It's noonish on Monday, Oct. 31 and I'm in Sydney, my favorite city on the planet. I've been here for about four hours.

And I've just been offered a job.

Actually, one of the concierges at my hotel realized how much I already know about Sydney and asked if I'd like have a job for a few days while I'm here. I told him I'm off to Perth tomorrow, but maybe I'll take him up on it when I'm back here in two weeks.

I'm sitting in a circular courtyard alongside Campbell's Cove (between the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the international cruise ship dock). Watching the tourists take turns posing for photos with the bridge or the Sydney Opera House in the background.

Gorgeous day. Gorgeous city.

Last week, on a bus ride to work, I purposefully sat in the sliver of sunshine that lit up a seat near me. I was hoping to warm myself on one of the first chilly days of autumn.

No luck. Light, but no heat. Like sitting in a room with a 60-watt lightbulb.

Here, in Sydney, I have light, heat and a pleasant breeze off the harbor to keep things from getting too hot.

They say that if you like Sydney, then you'll like Perth.

Well, Perth has some big shoes to fill.

1 comment:

Maple said...

Are you trying to make us all jealous?? Enjoy every moment of your trip and have fun with those Aussie boys!