Saturday, November 05, 2005

Date with Leg Shaver Guy

PERTH - -Returning from a day trip to Fremantle (suburb of Perth with better nightlife, restaurants and museums), my phone did that annoying chime thing that always makes me smile. I've got mail!?!?!

It was Chris the Leg Shaver, the Aussie with whom I had drinks last night. (He had brought me a bottle of wine from South Australia - - his home state, of which he is very proud. Too sweet!)

We traded texts with the end result being he's leaving tomorrow on a 9:30 am flight back to Adelaide, so no chance for a breakfast together. He DID say that if the party tonight is a dud, he'll call me.

Oh, before I forget, the date:

We met in the hotel lobby bar and here I am with this Aussie guy who loves the NBA (although he's never been to the US much less an NBA game). He's tall with sandy blond hair. He likes to camp and bike ride. Complained a bit that he's out of shape (um, NO!)

Anyway, we belly up to the bar and he orders...a SINGAPORE SLING! a girlie drink!?!?! I suppress a smile when the bartender says they don't make those. I suggest a tequila sunrise (and secretly pat myself on the back for my bartending background and quick thinking). We have two, actually two each in the next hour or two.

Conversation was good and not nearly as strange as our first poolside encounter. I was a bit nervous, so of course, I talked too much! We talked about health care and how it's sooo different in the US. We spoke of travel and the wonderful locations that Mother Nature annihilated this year.

He invited me to come to South Australia for my next visit. Said he'd take me camping to the Flinders Ranges. Okay, my friends just dropped their collective jaws when they read that last line. YES! I HAVE BEEN CAMPING!

Contrary to many first dates that take place in a bar, there was no smooching, groping or any type of PDA.

Anyway, last call arrived (damned hotel bars and their early closing times!) and we walked toward the elevators. We arrived at my floor too quickly and when the doors opened, I thanked him for the drinks and the wine. He went for a hug and I went for a kiss (gimme a break!!! it's been a while, okay?!?) We managed both, but I think I surprised him with a kiss because he tried to hold the elevator doors open to continue our evening.

"Thanks again!" I said as he finally let the doors close.

Back to his text message today:

"Hi MJ. Hope you r having a great time in freo. I dont think i will see you b4 the dinner as i am off to pre dinner drinks. Will send you a picture! Will email you when i get home. Really would love to see you again X"

(Yes, he did end it with X.)

All together now....."Awww!"

2 comments:

Maple said...

Good job girl! Does that mean you're going to be staying in Oz for a little longer??

The Writer said...

Don't think so, but I told him when I'll be in Sydney, so we'll see!
Plus, he wants to come to the US (not necessarily for me, tho).